Annual Sustainability Report highlights goals, successes for the Port of Vancouver USA
For the tenth year in a row, the Port of Vancouver USA has demonstrated its continued commitment to sustainable business practices and highlighted successes with its 2018 Sustainability Report—an annual report of the port’s “We Can!” Sustainability Task Force.
“We’re proud to see this program continue to grow over the last 10 years,” said Environmental Program Manager Mary Mattix. “The program gives employees the opportunity to think critically and creatively about sustainability and how the port can continue to be a leader in environmental stewardship, social equity and economic viability.”
The report takes stock of the We Can! Sustainability Task Force, which identifies areas of improvement and sets goals and targets to align with the port’s Strategic Plan. Goals are identified, then targets are created to support the goal.
Highlights from the 2018 Sustainability Report include:
GOAL: Foster Positive and Productive Relationships with Stakeholders
- TARGET: Select a preferred alternative for the Terminal 1 Market Place and public space design with input from public.
- TARGET: Lead successful outreach efforts to effectively communicate about the port with the public and maritime industry.
- TARGET: Organize a successful community-wide Christmas Ships viewing at Terminal 1.
GOAL: Promote Pollution Prevention
- TARGET: Reduce energy use.
- TARGET: Install electric vehicle charging station at the POV administration office.
- TARGET: Evaluate available spill response supplies and locations for improved response time for hazardous materials spills.
GOAL: Encourage Thoughtful Natural Resource Management
- TARGET: Complete identified improvements to the port’s water supply system scheduled to occur in 2018.
- TARGET: Host successful Take Your Child to Work event which incorporates environmental education.
- TARGET: Responsibly manage natural resource areas and industrial properties.
Additional highlights from the 2018 report and previous years’ reports can be found on the port’s website.