Harbor Crane Purchased
Port purchases first harbor “whirley” crane
On February 3, 1959, the port commission authorized the sale of general obligation bonds to pay the balance due on the port’s first harbor crane. Called a “whirley” crane because it was able to rotate a full 360 degrees, the port’s first harbor crane was capable of lifting loads up to 50 tons. Today, the port has two of North America’s largest mobile harbor cranes, each capable of lifting 140 tons.