Port of Vancouver USA is the most experienced, well-equipped, break bulk/heavy lift port on the U.S. West Coast. The port has plenty of space for staging and storing large, oversize cargo. It is also a truck and rail gateway to all of North America, and has long-term partnerships with the people and resources that make importing easy and streamlined.
Excellent Transportation Connections
- River: The Port of Vancouver USA currently offers 13 deep draft vessel berths. The port is served by numerous river and ocean-going vessels.
- Rail: The port is served by BNSF Railway, Union Pacific Railroad, Canadian National Railroad and Canadian Pacific Railroad.
- Road: The port is located within two miles of Interstate 5, the major north-south interstate freeway on the West Coast, and within 10 miles of Interstate 84, the interstate heading east. Many local and interstate trucking lines regularly serve the port.
- Air: Portland International Airport is located within 15 minutes of the Port of Vancouver, providing passenger and commercial freight services around the world.
Port of Vancouver’s terminal facilities are fully enclosed and secured around the clock by port-employed security workforce. Camera and video surveillance adds to the heightened level of security at port facilities.
Extensive Support Services
Pilots, agents, linesmen, tugboat services, bunkering services and ship stores are available locally. Port of Vancouver labor is provided by ILWU Local 4 in Vancouver, Wash. The port is open to all stevedoring companies.
The port handles a broad range of cargos, including wind energy, break bulk, project and direct transfer cargoes, containers, automobiles, forest products, steel and aluminum products, liquid bulks, and a number of dry bulk commodities such as bauxite, mineral ores, concentrates, fertilizers, clays, grains, and bulk agricultural commodities.
The port has more than 800 acres of developed industrial and marine property. More than 600 acres of land and 1.5 miles of waterfront access are available for future marine and industrial development.
The Port of Vancouver offers a range of services that enable us to accommodate unique cargoes, specialized handling processes, or the specific requirements of an industrial client, from permitting to siting; the port is always updating and refining these services to anticipate the special needs of all our customers. In addition, other available services include water, lights, taxi, telephone, electricity and emergency response services.
The port has about 610,000 square feet of dockside warehousing for general and bulk cargos. In addition, the port maintains 250 acres of open storage and marshalling yards adjacent to the docks.
Compare time and distance.
Located on the U.S. West Coast, the Port of Vancouver USA is twice as close as the Gulf ports for faster cargo travel to the Midwestern U.S. and Canada. Save time. Cut costs. Ship smart.
Through the Port of Vancouver USA:
- 8,212 kilometers
- 14 voyage days from Asian ports
- 4 days rail to U.S. Midwest
- 18 days total
- Reduced vessel charter costs, reduced fuel costs, no Panama Canal fees
Through Panama Canal and Gulf ports:
- 16,475 kilometers
- 30 voyage days from Asian ports
- 3 days rail to U.S. Midwest
- 33 days total